Sunday, January 25, 2009

Men changing lanes on the highway

Jeff Magic suggested that I read the book, Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps
I am only up to chapter 3 but so far it feels a little depressing to be a guy. Most of the information presented seems to give the edge to women as the superior sex and is portraying guys as creatures who can't do more than one thing at a time.


For example, when a guy is watching the television and the phone rings, what does he do? He turns the tv off, or the volume way down so he can answer the phone. What do women do? They answer the phone and can carry on an entire conversation while not missing a beat watching the tv. The book is not saying that women are smarter then men, just that our brains are wired differently.


Hmm, I am saying to myself. This is interesting, but I really don't buy all of these generalities. Then something interesting happened.

I was having a conversation with my friend Vicky while I was driving on the Southern State Parkway. It was a pretty intense topic and we were talking for a while, when all of a sudden, Vicky immediately stopped talking. This happened at the exact moment when I was trying to change lanes on the highway.

I made my lane change and said to her, why did you stop talking. She said "you are a guy, I learned long ago that you won't hear a word I am saying when you are trying to change lanes." I had not realized it, but in my own personal case, she was right. I would get completely frazzled if she was still talking while I was trying to get over.


Ok Ok, I know this is a generality and I am sure that there are plenty of women who wouldn't be able to concentrate if someone was talking while you were changing lanes either?
I will keep reading further along and share any interesting insights or memorable quotes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff,
I am a woman and I turn the TV down when I'm about to answer the phone. My reason is I want to give my full attention to the person on the phone. If it is a really good show that I'm watching then I either don't answer the phone or nowadays I DVR it.

As far as changing lanes I know there are woman out there who can't concentrate on a conversation when changing lanes. it's the same reasoning behind turning down the radio when you are looking for a parking spot. Thanks for the article.

Elizabeth