Monday, October 12, 2009

Why do men in their 40's think Im old?

Source: http://www.more.com/2041/6566-why-do-men-in-their

Why Do Men in Their 40s Think I'm Old?
by Rachel Greenwald Guest Writer



Dear Rachel,

I’m single at 44 years old, and men who are near my age seem only to be interested in younger women. I’m active and feel very young, and everyone says I look much younger than my age, but when men in their forties can (and do) date women in their thirties, and when they don’t even respond to my emails through online dating, it makes me feel ancient! How can I overcome this problem?

Signed,
Ancient in Atlanta



Dear Ancient,

This is a real issue, and I see it everywhere. Men in their 40’s often date women in their 30’s (even 20’s!); men in their 50’s often date women in their 40’s (even 30’s!). This leaves a gaping hole in the singles arena of fabulous women looking for men near their age. The U.S. Census (2008) echoes this problem: there are 30 million single women and only 20 million single men over 40. Yikes! It reminds me of the lost-sock-in-the-dryer phenomenon: you put two socks in the clothes dryer, but only one sock comes out. Where did the other sock go? And where did all the single men your age go? The answer is that men date younger, and men die younger too.

Okay, so we know the reality and it’s unfair, but it’s not hopeless. It requires a shift in your thinking to view this problem differently. Instead of asking yourself, “Why do men in their 40’s think I’m too old?”, you should be asking, “Who thinks I’m young? And who thinks I’m hot?” Now, with these questions, there seem to be two answers: much older men and much younger men. Fifty to 60-year old men think a 44-year old is young, and some men in their late 20’s and 30’s think a 44-year old is hot.


Now, before you start screaming that you don’t want to marry an old man or a baby, consider this core principle from the business world: “You have to sell what people want to buy.” If you’re trying to sell the most delicious candy bar in the world, but all your customers want to buy ice cream, you should sell ice cream. Sure, there are not many women whose first choice is to marry someone 10+ years older or younger, but if that’s the reality of whom you attract, and you really want to find a loving partner, it’s better to face it now rather than spend years alone trying to “sell” something few people want to “buy.”

This doesn’t mean you are going to “settle”: of course not! I want you to find someone wonderful, but “wonderful” isn’t defined by a number. And it doesn’t mean you have to give up on the men closer to your age, but it DOES mean that you need to cast a wider net. Change your online profile to search for men ages 29 to 59, and tell your friends you’re open to fix-ups in this wider age range. Be open to the possibility that Mr. Right may come wrapped in a totally different package (much older or much younger) than you’ve always envisioned. Remember that your real goal is to find happiness, which is age-less.

6 comments:

Simone Blum said...

Jay you are a good friend, and I say this with the deepest respect: you don't know what you are talking about!
Once men and women reach their later 40's/50's, there is a HUGE difference in aging. Just as you say, men die younger. For a woman of 44 to date a man who is 55 is the equivalent of a 15 year old dating a 25 year old. People do it. But the aging of the body makes it really hard.
Another fact is that generally women in their 40's still have a lot of energy, still like going out, having active social lives - men in their late 50's are getting ready to retire.
Its a tough match. And I needn't say much about men in their 20's for a 44-year old.... Many women in their 40's have children that age.

Jay said...

Thanks Simone,

But....

I DIDNT WRITE THE ARTICLE. A gal from the list suggested I post it to ask for feedback on what people thought.

I appreciate your comments though :)

Anonymous said...

Hi: I'm not sure that the numbers really matter, it's more: 1). how people take care of their bodies, minds and spirits and 2). how older men are much more aware, affectionate and attentive than (some) younger men. I am 52 man thinking about asking a 29 year old on a date - comments?

Anonymous said...

Hi: I'm not sure that the numbers really matter, it's more: 1). how people take care of their bodies, minds and spirits and 2). how older men are much more aware, affectionate and attentive than (some) younger men. I am 52 man thinking about asking a 29 year old on a date - comments?

Jay said...

To the guy who made the last comment...

You said age doesnt matter, however you are 52 and the gal you are going to ask out is 29. That seems to be in line with what the article is saying.

My question to you is whether you are interested in women late 40's or above?

NYC Singles said...

Men date younger women because they can.